However psycho-social factors have a big influence! According to the diathesis-stress-model of depression any kind of stressful event or unhealthy lifestile might trigger the onset of the disorder.
Possible triggers (causes for the onset) for a depressive disorder may include:
- Seasonal changes (see seasonal affective disorder)
- Death of a loved one / spouse
- Loss of job / unemployment
- Chronic physical illness / chronic pain
- Moving house / loss of social s
- Chronic conflicts at work
- Marital problems
- Chronic alcohol or drug abuse
- Certain medications
- Low self-esteem
- Being the victim of a crime or accident (see PTSD)
Other possible causes..........
Try to identify your individual triggers and make a list. Talk with your physician or psychotherapist and with your family and friends about these topics!