The treatment of a sex addiction should consist of:
- Handling old pain, traumas
- Contact with others
- Expression of all feelings
- Reprogramming of dysfunctional messages from the family of origin.
- Deal with shame
- Loving, supporting sponsoring
- Training new coping strategy
In cases with difficult too-large sex drive, use of medicines which reduce the sex drive can be used. A common such medicine is Bserelincetat. With a suitable dosage, this medicine can achieve a normal sex drive, but avoid a too-large sex drive.